Friday, July 30, 2010

Big Trouble in Little China (1986)

"I'm a reasonable guy, but Ive just experienced some of unreasonable things"

Jack Burton (Kurt Russell) is a truck driver making his way through San Fransisco when he stumbles on a war between rival Chinese gods. The gods are after a rare Chinese woman with green eyes. Burton must help protect the woman and destroy the gods by whatever means necessary.

There really is no way to describe this movie and have it make any bit of sense. From the mind of John Carpenter (Escape from New York and Halloween), this is a action/sci-fi adventure littered with everything 80s. Russell character is so over the top with his John Wayne monotone but creates a character you cant help but follow even if its to hell and back. Russell carries this movie and is at times quite funny, but it cant save this film. How this movie escaped my childhood is beyond me. I'm sure as a kid I would have enjoyed it more. But for the most part it is a "yeah I've seen it" kinda movie and I wouldn't recommend it unless you like this sorta thing. 1/5 -tom

SECOND OPINION

Well, I knew it was gonna happen eventually folks...Tom and I disagree on this one BIG TIME. In fact, its too bad that my friend here doesn't like good movies because I think he would've felt differently about "Big Trouble In Little China" if he did. What Tom doesn't tell you was that this movie is always a little bit tongue-in-cheek and has a very intentional goofy tone to it. In fact, I don't really know anybody that doesn't like it. Most of my family (parents and in-laws) have told me that it's one of their fav's from the decade. Kurt Russell's character isn't really the hero type in this film and that's the whole point of it...much like Adrian Brody in Peter Jackson's "King Kong" he is somebody who takes up the mantle of hero though they've never desired the role. I urge you to see it for yourself and disregard Tom's review. Tom - this means war!!! 5/5 -andy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails