Friday, August 6, 2010

The Right Stuff (1983)

"Dear Lord, please don't let me fuck up"

"The Right Stuff" is based on the book by Tom Wolfe which follows the space race between the US and Russia and the breaking of the sound barrier by Charles Yeager (Sam Shepard). The US wants to win so they send out recruiters to find the best pilots across the country inviting them to be astronauts. Here we are introduced to seven Mercury astronauts including John Glen (Ed Harris), Gordon Cooper (Dennis Quaid), Gus Grissom (Fred Ward), and Alan Shepard(Scott Glenn) who are put through the toughest tests known to man to be the first men in space and to orbit the Earth. Faced with many obstacles and tragedies this is the story of one of man's finest hours.

Hands down one of my favorite movies of all time. Made in 1983 and way ahead of its time you can't help but enjoy this movie. Winner of 4 Academy Awards and nominated for Best Picture this truly is one of the all time feel good movies. At over three hours long it doesn't feel like it. Also starring Jeff Goldblum, Barbara Hershey, Lance Henriksen, Kathy Baker, and a special appearance by the real life Charles Yeager. "The Right Stuff" is one of the greatest movies of all time and a tribute to American cinema and the human spirit. 5/5 -tom

SECOND OPINION

I had to watch this movie for one of my many film classes in college and let me tell you what, despite what Tom said, it most definitely does feel like it is over 3 hours long. Thats over 3 hours of my life I will never get back and I blame "The Right Stuff" for that. I didn't hate this movie I was just incredibly bored by it. Its not really my type of thing much like Dramas, War Films or Romance movies, so I would've have never seen it if it weren't for school. And another thing, no film is perfect. Some can come close and I know I have rated plenty of them 4's or 4.5's but I do that because almost nothing is worth a complete 5 - except for a select few. Tom, I suggest you be careful what you give a full 5 to and consider that everything has atleast some room for improvement. 2.5/5 -andy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails