Thursday, August 5, 2010

The Book of Eli (2010)

"People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now"

Eli (Denzel Washington) is a lone man wandering what is left of a scorched earth. He carries only what he needs to survive. Most precious of his belongings is a book that he had found years ago, a book that carries with it powers beyond this world, a book that could bring hope back to humanity. Eli is on a mission out west to deliver the book to the right hands and will kill anyone that gets in the way. In his travels he finds himself in a densely populated town run by traders, murderers, and thieves led by a man called Carnegie (Gary Oldman). Carnegie learns of Eli's book and knowing of its powers he tries to barter for it by offering work, water, and even through seduction with a young woman named Solara (Mila Kunis). Eli declines and continues on his way whilst being pursued by Carnegie and his men who will stop at nothing to get his book.

Denzel Washington gives an award worthy performance in this captivating and moving piece of science fiction/post apocalyptic/ action thriller by The Hughes Brothers. This story is simple but carries so much more than anyone will even realize until it is seen. You should walk away from this feeling good inside, not from just a good action movie but the lengths in which Denzel's character goes to protect this book while trying to find the good in man along the way. Quite simply this a masterpiece movie from beginning to end without question. Even if you don't like these sort of movies I feel you owe it to yourself to see it and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. I don't hand them out often but "Book of Eli" is without a doubt a perfect movie. 5/5 -tom

SECOND OPINION

I have to say I totally agree with Tom on this one. A friend of mine even revealed the ending to me before I saw it and I was still blown away. "The Book of Eli" is more than just some post-apocalyptic film; It's a film that has real meaning if you're willing to believe in it. And there in lies the real meaning of this film: Faith. What amazed me the most about it was that there were all these little genre's encompassed within. It had amazing Action, it had intense drama...and a ton of violence and blood. The cinematography is something to behold giving us perhaps the most hauntingly beautiful Post-Apocalyptic/Action/Drama ever. I have one MAJOR issue with it however but I don't want to tell you about it here because it would mean revealing the ending. I encourage you to watch the film and message me to find out what my problem with it is. Don't let that last little bit make you not watch the movie however, because you would be doing yourself a major disservice. 5/5 -andy

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed "Eli" I thought the "method of transportation" was a really cool twist. Gary Oldman was really good in it also. Definitely worth watching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with you guys, and my boyfriend Brent. Great site here Andy and everyone!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails